Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Virginia Gun Massacre

This is such a tragedy.

Why do acts of violence as extreme as this happen? What's sad is, the people who got killed didn't do anything to warrant this kind of death. They were killed because of what? Because a stranger couldn't take the pressure? Because their classmate was crazy enough to suddenly want to kill anything in his path? Because they decided to attend class that morning to learn? They were killed simply because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I really don't understand why some people are driven into this kind of "killing spree" insanity. I don't know the exact facts, but I'm pretty sure that another US school shooting happened several years back. What could be the constant factor here? The US educational system is too difficult? Teachers expect too much from their students? Peer pressure? Bullies? The need for attention? One last hurrah – the "I-think-I'll-go-kill-as-many-people-as-I-can-before-killing-myself" kind of hurrah? I'm sure the psychologists around the world are having a field day trying to figure out the psychological reason behind all this.

Whatever the reason may be, the harsh truth is, 33 people are dead. I don't know them personally, but I really feel for the family and friends they left behind. Imagine thinking that your kid is at school and then finding out later that day that he was gunned down inside the classroom – the last place on earth you'd expect to be remotely dangerous. It's crazy. :(

Are there any more safe places left in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?