Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Get 360 Fit, the 30-Day Challenge: WEEK 3

Before I start with the narrative of week 3, I just want to reiterate to my blog readers (if there are any), that I am not a fitness expert, nor am I a narcissist. Haha. I am just trying to document my progress through this challenge, for future reference (either mine or yours). The pictures are also a requirement in the 30 day challenge, as proof that I actually did the exercises. Hehe. :) Maybe this can serve as a reference for couch potatoes (like me, formerly), who want to start a simple fitness regimen. Believe me, starting is the hardest part; once you're in the fray, it will be easy peasy. :)

And so we start with week 3. :) To be conscious of your health and fitness every single day is a daunting task, but if you're up for it, the benefits outweigh the hassle. :)

* * * *

DAY 15: Long and strong, calm and centered

We we required to attend a Body Balance class today. I love Body Balance. It's a combination of Tai Chi, Pilates and Yoga, so they cover stretching, flexibility and core strength!

Time to get my "downward facing dog" on.


DAY 16: Advanced Core Training

There is always an exercise day to focus on the core. Why are people so intent on strengthening this part of our body? The core muscles are the muscles around your trunk and pelvis. According to an article I found from the Mayo clinic, core exercises improve your balance and stability: "Core exercises train the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen to work in harmony." This is important, because we use this muscle group in everyday tasks, as well as in sports. Also as an addition, "Weak core muscles make you susceptible to poor posture, lower back pain, and muscle injuries."

So, aside from developing your abdominal muscles, focusing on the core builds up your overall strength and improves your posture. Win-win! :)

This week, we were tasked to do 3 rounds of the series of exercises below:

Plank circuit:

- Low planks, 45 seconds
- Side planks, 40 seconds per side
- Glute Bridge, 45 seconds

Hala, they keep on increasing the time! Maybe by next week we will be up to 1 minute already!


Core integration circuit:

- 10 overhead squats (Start in squat position fingertips to the floor. Then raise both arms overhead and don't bend them and stand up. Then squat again and repeat.)
- 10 T-Push ups (Start with a push-up then open to the side with one arm extended to ceiling; it almost looks like a side plank. Come back and push-up and open to the other side.)
- 10 pairs speed skaters or mountain climbers
- 7 pull ups or 15 body rows
- 15 full burpees (with push ups)


I just came from yoga practice here, so I was already warmed up. Still wasn't enough to prepare me for the 15+15+15 burpees, though. Man, those burpees always kill me.


DAY 17: Pre-vacation workout!

Last day before Holy Week vacation! Hurray! But this is no time to rest, YET, because we were tasked to squeeze in one last work-out by attending any of the group classes that day. If we couldn't make it to the gym, we could also do any of the exercises in the "Earn Your Beach Body" video series, found here.

I was at the gym that day, not for any of the group classes, but for my long-awaited PT session with Coach Mapi. It would always get postponed because I would usually do a group class first, and then be too tired for more exercises after. Haha! So this time, I made sure that I would be at the gym exclusively for my PT session. Hah! I checked the "Earn Your Beach Body" video series, and I saw that most of the exercises there were the same ones that coach made me do:

1st series (3 rounds):

- 20 16-lb kettlebell full swings
- 10 step and lift (10 per leg) with 15-lb dumbbells.

1st series
 
2nd series (3 rounds):
 
- 10 full push-ups
- 20 mountain climbers

2nd series

3rd series (3 rounds):

- 20 rope slams

My manicure was ruined!

Those kettlebells were the death of me, and to think that was the first exercise I had to do. >:( I guess I should be thankful that coach only made me do 3 rounds of 3 exercise series. One of 360 Fitness Club's brand ambassadors, Rachel, was training nearby, and Coach Dexter made her do 8 rounds! I'm not sure what her series of exercises were, but I saw that she had some burpees thrown in. Intense! But then, I guess she's not brand ambassador for nothing. Hehe. :)


DAY 18: Eat right!

Exercise will be for nothing if you don't pair it with a healthy diet. Today, we were tasked to eat right: to eat one serving of fruits and vegetables in every meal, and to replace white rice or bread with brown rice or wheat bread.

Today was also Holy Thursday, and my family and I went on a Visita Iglesia to churches around Marikina and Rizal. For lunch, we ate at Kainan sa Tabing Lawa, a "lutong bahay" restaurant that specializes in Filipino food. Eating healthy wasn't too hard a task because we mostly ordered fish and vegetables.


Lutong Pinoy!


DAY 19: Push it (again)!

120 full push-ups!



It was "family fitness day" at our house that day, too, meaning, my siblings and I were at the gym all at the same time. Haha! My baby brother did the 120 push ups with me; he was already done when I was still at #80, I think. After the push ups, we all did some abdominal exercises together.


Showing off our muscles. Haha!


DAY 20: Active playday!

I guess 360 assumed that most of us will be on vacation this week, so we were tasked to do something fun and active, like swimming, playing frisbee, or brisk walking. My family didn't go out of town this weekend, though, and we attended the Easter Vigil mass that night, so I didn't have time to go outdoors to "play." Once we got back to the house, my sister and I did the following exercises:

6-12-18-24-18-12-6 reps of the following series:

- Squats
- Leg raises
- Push-ups
- Lunges

Sisterly bonding

I was already dying after doing 24 reps, and we were supposed to quit then. It was good that we decided to forge on. Haha. I mean, what is a work-out if you are not challenged?


DAY 21: Do the Men's Health Weekend Challenges!
 
Easter Sunday! A day of hope and new beginnings! I woke up to the message of 360 Fitness Club, asking us to do an intense work-out for that lovely, sunny, Easter morning. Great. My body has not yet recovered from the midnight work-out my sister and I did the night before. For today, we were supposed to choose one of these work-outs and see which coach we can beat:
 
 
 
 
4:30
8:20


Of course, I got the instructions wrong: I didn't pick just ONE, I did BOTH! >:( I did horribly in both, too. Coach Chappy's time (the time to beat) was 1:59. Mine was more than twice that number. Coach Jose's time was around 2:30, I think, and mine was more than thrice! Fail! :(
 
 
Pagod
 
* * * *
 
Week 3 is done. 1 more week to go!!! During the 4th and final week, I will be in Boracay, so let's see how I can do the challenges on the beach! Haha! :)

Get 360 Fit, the 30-Day Challenge: WEEK 2
Get 360 Fit, the 30-Day Challenge: WEEK 1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?