Saturday, January 08, 2005

Realizations

I feel totally relaxed after my one-week vacation this Christmas break...Subic and Baguio was a blast. :) One week of freedom gave me a much-needed rest...and provided me with enough time to mull things over.

Realization #1: It's better to give than to receive. And it's better to give really nice, well-thought-of, kind-of-expensive or really-expensive-my-bank-account-is-wiped-out gifts to the people you love, rather than give them last-minute, so-generic-anyone-can-get-them-at-the-grocery-store kinds of gifts.

Realization #2: High school boys can be pretty stupid sometimes. Dense. Insensitive. You get the picture. This is for my my impressionable little sister who's about to attend her prom in about a month's time: Don't get hung up on the fantasy. Dump the dude and get someone who's a gentleman. Tsss. I can't believe they don't teach manners in that school of theirs. The prom doesn't have to be magical...you just have to get through it in the best way you can. And that is not by getting your crush who treats you like #*&$. :D

Realization #3: I need to take care of myself more. I realize that I'm not getting any younger. I am gaining weight. I am getting paler (no, not *whiter*...paler. As in, unhealthy skin and unideal blood circulation). I can hear my bones cracking evertime I bend over. I think seeing myself under fluorescent lights while trying on a bathing suit at Nike's was quite a shocker. Hehe. Getting used to seeing myself in the mirror in a house full of yellow lights is not really good practice.

Realization #4: After bitching and complaining about my stressful job for 2 whole months last year, I finally realize that I'm getting quite comfortable in my office. I realize this after being suddenly assigned to a rush project and feeling quite pleased with myself after finishing the job on time. I'm really insecure when it comes to my so-called skills as an architect-to-be...so whenever I get a compliment, I lap it up like a thirsty puppy-dog. Kind of pathetic, actually. But I take what I can get. :)

Realization #5: I am anti-social. I don't like meeting new people because then I'd have to think of new things to talk about. I don't like making small talk with acquaintances...'cause...well, why waste time acting all friendly with someone you hardly know? I don't like going to gimik places at night because they're all so full of posers and people who just go there to *be* seen. Or people who like to look at other people and give them the once-over. And I don't like being once-over-ed. And my hair smells like a cigarette factory afterward. Ick. And I don't like sucking-in my tummy for hours on end just because every other girl in the room is wearing mid-riffs and tight tops (OK, it's the insecurity talking here, I think). I'd really rather just stay at home and read a good book, or watch a good movie, or just hang out with good, good friends. :) Call me Les-the-Hermit. :)

Realization #6: I think I may be a good candidate for Alzheimer's Disease. I know, I know...not funny. But I'm noticing that I'm starting to be really forgetful often. I don't remember the names of some of my highschool batchmates (we're a small batch and it's easy to know everyone, believe me). I don't remember the names of some of the people I knew in college. Let's not get started on birthdays. I forget little details that I'm supposed to remember. I forget events. I forget a lot of things. I'm irritable most of the time (isn't that a symptom?) I'm doomed...

Hmm...Now that I think about it, I realize that I've been thinking about lots of random stuff lately. It's good in a way because I'm not thinking about any major dilemma in my life or anything. It's bad because I should concentrate on acting on these realizations rather than just complaining about them and getting all wow-I'm-pretty-pleased-with-myself-for-realizing-something-about-life. :P

I think I'm like this because I've been reading too many chick-lit lately. I should read less and go out with friends more. :(

6 comments:

  1. hi les! i agree with the whole idea of the prom not being necessarily magical...sometimes, with all the preparations about it...ewan. sometimes you wind up with egg on your face.

    it's good to be have expectations from your bosses. at least you feel fulfilled when you are able to accomplish something they want done fast.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On #1:
    True, true. :) Though I desperately wish I had the money to actually GIVE anything of much value. :S Pero sana you like my gift, nevertheless. ;)

    On #2:
    Okay, okay. We were, sometimes. Pero okay lang yun, diba? You live, you learn. :) Although I'd like to think that I was one of the less stupid ones back then. :P

    On #3:
    I know what you mean. I feel like I'm staring at a 30-year old when I look into the mirror nowadays.. *sigh* It's all the stress, I guess.

    On #4:
    Yey! :) Good for you!!! :)

    On #5:
    You *aren't* anti-social. I know this for a fact. We're just growing up, that's all. :) (Pah-tays are a thing of the past. Like I said, you live, you learn. hehe)

    On #6:
    Probably not.. I think the reason we tend to forget more of the little things now is because we're so focused na on what we're doing. I mean, we're usually so busy using up our neurons on the task at hand. Para bang "Message memory almost full." hehe :)


    LESLEY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your realization # 3 best!!! That's the best way to start the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your realization# 3 best!!! That's the best way to start the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ano na gagawin ko ngayon? set up mo nga ako... malamang gusto ko naman ung kilala ko tlga para kasundo noh. pag si park naman, di kami close... tss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Les! I miss your entries! Glad you enjoyed your Christmas break. I just realized we think alike in many ways. Our insecurities get in the way! Hahahaha. So that goes to saying I agree with many of your points -- about the prom, the "nightlife" and being a homebody, about losing weight, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?