Monday, May 07, 2007

My Personal Bubble

I never knew how particular I was about my personal space until recently. A few months back, I started to get really irritable when people here in the office frequently invaded my personal bubble.

I don't really mind if it's in a crowded area, like in the MRT, or in the mall. Of course, that's unavoidable. Here in the office, however, specifically when I'm sitting at my desk, I get very territorial.

Let me illustrate. My desk is about 1.2 meters long, and I am sitting somewhere in the middle of that length. There is approximately 1 meter (2.5 feet) of free space all around my chair. According to the diagram below, that is already a violation of my personal space. But this is Manila, a very populated place, so I can bring down my standards a few meters or so. No sense in being a prude.



So I bring down my personal space standard to 1 meter. That should be enough, right? This is an office, not Divisoria we are not crammed in here like sardines in a can. But with all this lease-given space, my officemates don't seem to understand the concept of proxemics.

How can I tell my officemates to please stop rolling into my zone? Is it really necessary for them to roll their chairs all the way into my intimate space bubble (yes, less than 1.5 feet, as indicated by the personal space diagram)? Kailangan ba talaga idikit nila yung upuan nila sa upuan ko? As if naman maingay dito sa office. I can hear anyone whisper from 5 feet away. Kailangan ba talaga nilang basahin kung ano man ang nasa computer screen / nasa table ko habang nasa loob sila ng aking zone? Invading my personal bubble is enough, do they have to invade my privacy as well?

Am I being petty? Is it really wrong to hate it when people hover?

I've noticed that my male officemates are usually the ones who violate this. The females, who are naturally more intimate than men, know their boundaries. Strange.

There's an invisible bubble around me. Stay away from it.

3 comments:

  1. Well, mentioning that it's mostly the men who break this invisible bubble already speaks a lot in itself. Maybe they like you and are just trying to get your attention, although they may or may not realize that they're being obtrusive(depends really on what kind of reaction they want to get out of it).

    I guess honesty is the best policy and maybe you can casually tell them how they are oddly invading your space. If they still don't get it, then it would probably help to have a black belt in something, hehe.

    -passerby

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what you get for having a pretty face. hehe :p You should tell them off. Yun lang yun. :) Di naman tama na basahin nila yung mga tintype mo dyan sa PC mo. Maybe you should tell everyone to visit your blog para mabasa nila tong entry mo. hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah. I don't think any of them like-as in-like me. One of them is pretty harmless, actually. I think he's just naturally chismoso. Yung tipong iba ang kakuwentuhan ko, tapos nakikisali sha ("oy, ano yan, ano yan?") kahit di naman sha tinatawag. At kahit nasa kabilang dulo kami ng kuwarto. Just a few minutes ago, I came back from a trip to the toilet to find him sitting on my chair and looking at the documents spread on top of the table. Even if the documents are part of the project that we're both working on, it's still kinda annoying. Patience, Lesley, patieeeeeence. *wooh*

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?