Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eat. Pray. Love...Read a book

Ok, so I haven't actually finished reading "Eat Pray Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I still can't fight my way through the first section (partly because I'm busy, partly because the style of writing is not as amusing as I want it to be). I've seen the movie, though (twice), and although it's a bit dragging in some parts, it has intrigued me enough to Google quotable quotes.

So far, this is my favorite, because I feel as if Elizabeth Gilbert took the words right out of my mouth. (
And isn't that what makes quotes so poignant? They're the things you know are true, but you can't quite find the right words to express them.)

"I have a history of making decisions very quickly about men. I have always fallen in love fast and without measuring risks. I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone, but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long) waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance I have been a victim of my own optimism."

In my younger, brooding years, I've always considered myself as a pessimist. It seemed more mysterious to say that the glass is "half empty" as opposed to the optimistic "half full." Being a hopeless romantic seemed more intriguing (with its never-ending drama) than being a hopeful romantic. Back then, being "senti" (the 90s version of "emo"), was acceptable (helloooo, we were of the generation where "King and Queen of Hearts" was used in every single prom/ball. It doesn't get more "senti" than that).

As I matured (emotionally, I hope), I came to realize that I'm not as negative as I thought myself to be. It's supposedly a positive trait, optimism (duh), but based on my experiences, it has also become my downfall.

I always have high hopes when it comes to love. I guess "idealistic" is the correct term for that. I have the ideal picture of love (and of the man I will want to love) in my mind. I give them the benefit of the doubt, and I give them 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th chances.
I do admit that I *am* very optimistic about people. I do believe in the goodness of all people.

I think the best example of this is my love for Piolo Pascual. *grin*

This is the typical conversation I have with other people regarding Papa P:

Me: Ang guwapo ni Piolo.
Others: Bading kaya yan.
Me: HINDI AH!!! (with matching angry expression and hands raised to strike)
Others: Oo kaya.
Me: Hindi pa kasi niya ako nakikita.

Yup. Basta mahal ko, ipaglalaban ko hanggang sa dulo ng mundo. :))

Some call me naive, innocent, gullible, or whatever... I see it as a limitless supply of hope and faith, and that's where I get my strength.

Yeah, I get screwed over a lot because of my "optimism," but I know as early as now (early?) that I ain't gonna change. Faulty wiring, I guess. :)) At least now that I am aware of this personal truth, I can now control it (somewhat). I can now use this optimism to my advantage.

At least now, I know to look for someone who can carry his own weight; someone who doesn't need (just) my optimism to push him to his greatest potential; someone who actually KNOWS that he is capable of doing great things. I think every person should be aware of his strengths, his capabilities. He should know what he WANTS to achieve.

I am optimistic about myself, first and foremost, because *I* am the only one who knows my strengths and weaknesses best. I know what *I* want. I should not settle for anything less.

Hey, Elizabeth Gilbert. Maybe you should take a page from my book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?