Friday, November 12, 2010

The Loves of My Life

When I went to South Korea for the whole of April, I lost a couple of loved ones in the process, but I gained 3 lifelong friends. I joined the Group Study Exchange program of Rotary International, expecting a free vocational/educational trip abroad; I *did* get that, but it was an educational trip that taught me life lessons that I did not expect.


My teachers came in the form of 3 ladies, Ina, Sally, and Marianne. My sisters. The loves of my life. :)


Ina: "Miranda." Our resident "mother," the big sister I never had, our voice of reason. Darna! :)


Sally: "Samantha." The defender of the down-trodden (me, usually), the overworked and under-*****, our techie saviour. Fearless.


Marianne: "Charlotte." Demure, the "poser," the most patient one out of all of us (I don't think I've ever seen her angry / pikon). Nasa loob ang kulo (and it can be brought out by Soju).

We all came back from Korea with a changed perspective on life and love. And the best thing about it is...it's still an on-going lesson. I discover more things about myself and others from the increased awareness I acquired because of the trip, and because of these girls.

My Korea trip was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and it changed me forever. I guess it helped that I was sent there with the right kind of team mates, and the right kind of leader (Tito Bob, our gracious and patient team leader who made our Rotary experience hassle-free).


We are all so different now (emotionally, intellectually and physically). If it weren't for these 3 girls, I don't know what kind of person I would be now. I'd still have the same "standard Lesley" traits, I guess, but it will not be reinforced with conviction, passion, and awareness. These girls accompanied me on my trip of self-discovery (still on-going. Does it ever end?), and they are not afraid to point out the harsh truths and the glaring mistakes. They do not hesitate to give due praise, to boost my ego, and to give comfort and reassurance.


They're my biggest fans, the ones I can always depend on (for anything), the ones I cannot imagine being without.

God gave them to me at a very opportune time, and I will be forever grateful for their role and presence in my life. I am not letting go of them, ever. *evil laugh* :)


Looking forward to our "Journey back to Korea" in 2012, girls! :) I love you!

P.S.Why haven't I blogged about our Korea trip yet??? Chapter 1, coming soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?