Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Night With Old Letters and Dear Memories

I was up all night digging through old letters / notes / pictures / keepsakes. It all started when I was looking for my old organizer because I could not (for the life of me) remember when this certain friend's birthday is (to that friend, I'm sorry, I just suck at birthdays). I ended up looking through my old baul, laughing and sighing while reading letters by friends, notes from classmates, and palancas from all sorts of people.

It was really weird because names from my past were jumping right at me, and I could not remember most of them. Who is this *bleep* that used to like *bleep*? Who is this *bleep* who *I* used to like? Who is this *bleep* who used to like *me*? What was this issue regarding *bleep*? Oh my God, I am getting really old.

I was also pleasantly surprised to (re)discover that the people I have lost touch with have been such a huge part of my life way back when. The letters had the phrases "Friends Forever!" or "Let's keep in touch ok?" or "You'll always be a treasured friend!" or "I am so glad that we've gotten to be really close friends..." It's really sad that I've lost touch with most of those people whom I've considered really close friends...But albeit such a great loss, revisiting that beautiful part of our friendships is such a heartwarming experience.

I also didn't realize how many penpals I had back then! I had an email pal from Singapore, one from Canada, one from the States, one from Australia...and one from White Plains, QC! Hehehe. :) They were all really nice, too. They would send me magazines, postcards, pictures...I wonder where they all are now? Maybe I should write them again?

* * * *

Taking a walk down memory lane can make you feel lots of things: amusement, sadness, guilt, happiness. I realized, though, that there is never any pain (NOTE: This isn't guaranteed unless you take this *trip* after all your issues have been resolved, and all of your dramas are in the past). Reminiscing is good for the soul; the gift of hindsight truly is a great gift to have; and it's always good to remember all the great times, and to remember all the great lessons we've learned from all the bad times.

To quote the very wise words of one of my dear, dear friends: "Don't cry because it ended; Smile because it happened." And there are truly many things to smile about. :)

2 comments:

  1. tinamaan ako ah...yeah, i recently cleaned my room, which is still a mess up til now btw, and found a lot of old mementos. half of my clothes are on the floor becuase my closet is filled to it's brim with letters and pictures with old faces on 'em...i would like to think, the memories attached to 'em are more important than my clothes...les, i miss you...just wanna let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psilink.. Best friend.. Lesley. *hug* Luv you! *tear*

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?