Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Taking It One Book At A Time

I do not like seeing books go unread...and I usually don't have to worry about THAT, because I read every book I have within days of purchasing / receiving them. Recently, though, I've been so scatter-brained that not only do I have a lot of unREAD books, I also have a lot of unFINISHED books. Que horror! The tragedy! :((

I guess it started during one of the sales at Fully Booked (God, this was more than a year ago already!). Got myself 3 books at 80% off. Finished only 2 of 3. 3rd book is still inside my toilet's magazine bin: unfinished, neglected and forgotten (for the curious, the book, which has been demoted to toilet-status is "The Starter Wife." Haha).

My usual go-to place in any commercial establishment is the bookstore. When I'm waiting for someone, or when I'm just looking around the mall by myself, I automatically get drawn to the place filled with nice-smelling books. :) *sigh* I can get lost inside a book store for HOURS. Unfortunately, whenever I find myself inside this heaven, and whenever I have some cash at hand (or some plastic hehe), I always end up buying a book or two.

I usually have good instincts when it comes to good books (sadly, this gift does not cross over to other aspects of my life), so whatever book catches my interest -- well, they're usually really good. I don't know what it is about this last batch of books...are they not interesting enough? Did I lose my instinct for choosing good books? Or am I just TOO busy?

The list of "neglected books" just grows longer and longer (yesterday, I went to Fully Booked to buy yet another book, which was highly recommended by a friend). I can't seem to stop buying books...and my friends can't stop giving them to me as gifts! I guess books are naturally attracted to me. Haha.

  • The Starter Wife by Gigi Levangie
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
  • Possession by A.S. Byatt
  • The Museum at Purgatory by Nick Bantock (gift from Lav)
  • The White Queen by Philippa Gregory
  • A Year In High Heels by Camilla Morton
  • Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  • Mini-Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
  • Chasing Harry Winston by Lauren Weisberger (gift from Diane)
  • Kiko Machine 4 & 5 :/

I'm pretty sure that when I rummage through my bedroom, I will find more unread / unfinished books. For now, I guess I should concentrate on the list above. Part of my 150-things-to-do for 2011 (#35) is to read at least 1 book a month. This target is actually an underachievement for me, because I usually finish at least 3 books a month. :/

Oh well. Baby steps! Taking it one book at a time. :)

Oh no. Wait. This means that I won't be able to buy new books for a whole year. This list is going to take me 11 months to finish. :/ That sucks. Have to get a move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?