Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Terrified

I know this is an old song, and I remember reading about the hype it created (what with Zachary Levi being featured in it), but I didn't appreciate it much then. But now, thanks to the wonders of Facebook and the mushiness of a friend, I've rediscovered it. "Terrified": The title throws you off a little. It doesn't really give you an idea that it's a gentle love song...but it IS. A pleasant surprise. :)

And this song is FULL of little, pleasant surprises. Simple albeit gripping lyrics that really made me sit up and take notice.

These 2 lines say it all: "I'm in love. I'm terrified." I believe that falling in love takes courage. How else can you explain being scared of the consequences, being terrified of losing, but still taking that leap anyway? Stupidity? Blind faith? COURAGE.

And what's wrong with a little bit (a whole lot) of fear? Admitting that you have fears may mean that you still have some hesitation, and that you are cautious. It may mean that you are afraid of losing, or of hurting your pride. It also means that you are vulnerable and capable of feeling emotion. It means that you are willing to do anything to keep the love safe. It means that you will be hurt when it is lost, and that you care enough for it to know that you have lost a good thing.

So don't equate fear with having doubt. Sometimes you are so SURE of something that it scares you. Knowing something to be true is terrifying, because there's nothing much you can do but leap into it. What other choice do you have? :)

Good job Kara Dioguardi. The lyrics are the awesome, melt-your-heart, make-you-smile kind. :) I must admit, I was smiling like a giddy school girl the whole time I was listening to it (still smiling now). I think I'm going to have this on repeat on my iPod for today. :)

"You set it again, my heart's in motion..."



Terrified
by Katharine McPhee featuring Zachary Levi

You, by the light
Is the greatest find
In a world full of wrong
You're the thing that's right

Finally made it through the lonely
To the other side

You set it again, my heart's in motion
Every word feels like a shooting star
I'm at the edge of my emotions
Watching the shadows burning in the dark

And I'm in love
And I'm terrified
For the first time and the last time
In my only life

And this could be good
It's already better than that
And nothing's worse
Than knowing you're holding back

I could be all that you need
If you let me try

You set it again, my heart's in motion
Every word feels like a shooting star
I'm at the edge of my emotions
Watching the shadows burning in the dark

And I'm in love
And I'm terrified
For the first time and the last time
In my only

I only said it 'cause I mean it
I only mean 'cause it's true
So don't you doubt what I've been dreaming
'Cause it fills me up and holds me close whenever I'm without you

You set it again, my heart's in motion
Every word feels like a shooting star
I'm at the edge of my emotions
Watching the shadows burning in the dark

And I'm in love
And I'm terrified
For the first time and the last time
In my only life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?