Monday, October 04, 2004

Short hair versus Long hair

If there's one thing I'm vain about, it's my HAIR.

I'm not the type of person who would spend money on hair treatments. Neither am I someone who would spent hours blow-drying or curling my hair before work or before a date. I'm actually the most tamad person when it comes to hair-care.
I simply like my hair. That's how far I go with regards to vanity.

~I like it when people act all surprised when I tell them that No, I did not have my hair colored. EVER.
~I like it when it feels so silky smooth (and when it smells so nice!) after I use Vaseline Shampoo.
~I like it when my younger sister acts all jealous when she brushes my hair and says "Ang daya, bakit ang kapal ng buhok mo?" Hehehe.
~I like it when I put it up in a ponytail and it swishes neatly behind me.
~I like the fact that I don't need to get my hair rebonded or relaxed. Shampoo lang yan. (hahaha, sorry, I couldn't resist)

But I didn't always like my hair.

Back in gradeschool, I only had one hairstyle: a short bobcut. Whenever I went to the parlor, I would always tell the stylist to trim it to just below the ear. THAT was how predictable I was. I let my hair grow beyond my shoulders back in 4th grade...but my hair was so thick that not only did it grow longer...it grew wider as well. Can you say buhaghag? :D

In highschool, I remember getting my first not-a-bobcut haircut in 2nd year...I remember the stylist giving me those layered cuts. That was the in-thing back then. I remember liking my hair even while it was being cut. Have you ever had one of those haircuts wherein it just looked and felt right from the beginning? Well, needless to say, that was one of the best haircuts I ever had. I think that that was when I really bloomed: From nerdy grade-schooler to highschooler with a cool haircut. Haha.

A year after, I felt rebellious. Up till now I still can't remember what compelled me to do it...but the major turning point of my junior year wasn't the prom...it was the day I decided to get a boy's cut. Yup. It was a weird year. Everytime I entered a Jollibee or a Mcdonalds, the crew would greet me with a "Good day, sir!" "Thank you, sir!" That was the year I learned to wear sleeveless blouses and dangling earrings just to make it clear that Hey, I'm a GIRL. That was also the year that I was an aspiring CAT officer. They called me G.I. Jane because of my hair. And because I look like Demi Moore. Ahahaha. Asa pa ako.

Cropped hair has been my general hairstyle for my first four years in college. I remember now that it could get really annoying. The "sirs" I could get used to. But once I try to let it grow longer, it gets into this alanganin stage and it looks really icky. Maybe that's the reason why I kept having it cut off every month. Short hair has its advantages, though:

1. It keeps me cool in the summer time
2. It's wash-and-wear. I don't have to worry about tangles or blow-drying...sometimes I don't even have to comb it. :D
3. I look different from every other long-haired Filipina out there. It's an edge. Is it?
4. It's literally a great weight off your shoulders.

Some people get haircuts when they're depressed or when they're heartbroken, just because it makes them feel light and fresh. I used to get haircuts for the same reason. Once, I was so depressed that I had it cut in a shorter style than usual. Thank God it looked good. :) I only grew my hair long in 5th year college because of the graduation pictures. Hahaha. :) THAT, and because of the fact that I was rarely depressed, and I was NOT heartbroken that year (that's a record, so cheer for me!).

My hair is now well below my shoulders. It's all long and girly...and I'm contemplating on getting it cropped again. I kind of miss having low-maintenance hair. And I guess I'm feeling heavy because of all the stress at work...I feel like I need a change.

Should I go for it?

5 comments:

  1. Les! Huwag! Haha. Actually, depende naman sa yo yan. Ako lang personally, I like Lesley with longer hair!:) It seems more girly. Oh well. Kung sa bagay, ikaw lang naman yung kilala ko na girl na nakakadala ng short boyish hair.

    Haha. Sorry labo ko.:( Anyway, I still like Lesley with longer hair!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. SHORT HAIR!!! boy cut!! why?? wla lang... hehehe. i guess bilib ako sa kayang magdala nun

    ---asdasdasd102349576461111255332356

    ReplyDelete
  3. leahtot here...i actually voted for "get a stylish cut instead" hehe. i dunno...maybe u should have it layered ulit..but this time dont make it short. kse u already know what u look like in short layered cut...long hair na straight lang..so...lets see kung pano pag shoulder length na layered. sige na Ü but u know what ur right...ur hair did improve a LOT. haha. i still remember your buhaghag hair days..shyet..and that suddenly stylish haircut nung 2nd yr college. yep..ur right about that being the start of ur pagbloom. naks. sabi sayo e..elizabeth ka talaga ako si jessica. haha! :p miss u too!! im soooo looking forward to our shopping trip, as u promised. mwahmwahmwah!ÜÜÜ u made me happy just reading that Ü hope to see u soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nabuo yung araw ko dun sa comment mo sa blog ko. humahaba yung buhok ko (got the pun?) kapag napupuri ang pagsusulat ko, more than being told that i'm a deadringer for gary dulatas (has yet to happen).

    siyempre alam ko na ikaw si dedma, i read your blog, too. naapektuhan kaya ako sa "good guys finish last" - totoo kasi, nakakalungkot lang.

    salamat pala sa pagsubaybay sa blog ko. balitaan na lang kita kung kelan yung fans day ko sa plaza fair.

    p.s. long hair, short hair - kahit ano. wag lang gayahin ang buhok ng sumasali sa mtb's honey-me'

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?